Automatic Plugin Installation
WordPress Plugins Panel To add a WordPress Plugin using the built-in plugin installer:
- Go to Plugins > Add New.
- Under Search, type in the name of the WordPress Plugin or descriptive keyword, author, or tag in the search form or click a tag link below the search form.
- Find the WordPress Plugin you wish to install.
- Click Details for more information about the Plugin and instructions you may wish to print or save to help setup the Plugin.
- Click Install Now to install the WordPress Plugin.
- A popup window will ask you to confirm your wish to install the Plugin.
- If this is the first time you've installed a WordPress Plugin, you may need to enter the FTP login credential information. If you've installed a Plugin before, it will still have the login information. This information is available through your web server host.
- Click Proceed to continue with the installation. The resulting installation screen will list the installation as successful or note any problems during the install.
- If successful, click Activate Plugin to activate it, or Return to Plugin Installer for further actions.
Some WordPress Plugins require more steps to customize them. The Details ReadMe file should contain step-by-step instructions. After installation, this information is available on the Plugins Panel for each Plugin. If you are having problems with a WordPress Plugin, see the Troubleshooting section.
For information on how to install a WordPress Plugin manually, see our manual installation guide below.
Manual Plugin Installation
There are a few cases when manually installing a WordPress Plugin is appropriate.
- If you wish to control the placement and process of installing a WordPress Plugin.
- If your server does not permit automatic installation of a WordPress Plugin.
- The WordPress Plugin is not in the official WordPress Plugin Directory.
Installation of a WordPress Plugin manually requires FTP familiarity and the awareness that you may put your site at risk if you install a WordPress Plugin incompatible with the current version or from an unreliable source.
Backup your site completely before proceeding.
To install a WordPress Plugin manually:
- Download your WordPress Plugin to your desktop.
- If downloaded as a zip archive, extract the Plugin folder to your desktop.
- Read through the "readme" file thoroughly to ensure you follow the installation instructions.
- With your FTP program, upload the Plugin folder to the wp-content/plugins folder in your WordPress directory online.
- Go to Plugins screen and find the newly uploaded Plugin in the list.
- Click Activate Plugin to activate it.
Check the Details readme file for customization and further instructions.
Posted in: WordPress