Dictionary.com has 17 different definitions for design. The ones that seem most relevant to our work include:
- to prepare the preliminary sketch or the plans for (a work to be executed), esp. to plan the form and structure of: to design a new bridge.
- to plan and fashion artistically or skillfully.
- to intend for a definite purpose
- to form or conceive in the mind; contrive; plan
- to assign in thought or intention; purpose
- an outline, sketch, or plan, as of the form and structure of a work of art, an edifice, or a machine to be executed or constructed.
- the combination of details or features of a picture, building, etc.; the pattern or motif of artistic work
- a plan or project
But beyond the formal definitions, there are also the loose meanings that teams working on Web pages assign to the word, including:
- the person or team responsible for making a site "look good"
- the look of a website as a whole
- the look of an individual Web page
- the work of building a website (as oppsed to planning it or writing content for it)
- the person or team responsible for coding the website
- the way the website "works"
- the images and icons required for a website
Posted in: Web Design and Applications